RHA ( 1909-1982) Henry Healy
Henry Healy born Dublin 1909 and studied at the Metropolitan School of Art, going on to London and Paris to further his formal training. He exhibited at the RHA in 1938 and was elected a member of the Academy in 1966 and served as treasurer until his death. In 1969 he was active in securing the Gallagher Gallery for the Academy.
Healy also exhibited at the Oireachtas Exhibitions (1944-1980) and served on their council, the Irish Exhibition of Sacred Art (1962) and the Davis Gallery (1970). His travels included trips to France, Spain, Italy, Turkey and Lapland. In 1973 Healy was appointed to the board of NCAD however he resigned after one year. He served on the Board of Governors of the National Gallery of Ireland from 1981, and was a member of the Arts Council. In his final years, Healy spent time in Achill Island, Co. Mayo, where he painted and taught, having previously taught in Dublin.
His works can be found in the collections of the Arts Council Dublin, The Office of Public Works, VHI, The National Self Portrait Collection in Limerick, and the Irish Embassies in Beijing and Canberra. Following his death a retrospective entitled "Poet of Paint" was mounted by the Taylor Galleries.